25 July 2014

The One Year Blogversary


It's the one year blog anniversary for Nerdjoy today and I can't believe the journey so far! This is a longer post but it's stuff I've been meaning to write about on the blog for awhile and what better time to reflect than on a blogversary?

Dear Blogging Community,


I've met some of the most inspiring and wonderful people since blogging. I consider the girls at Female Geek Bloggers, Superheroesque, and International Geek Girl Pen Pals Club as my sisters and friends. You have helped me embrace my feminism instead of trying to hide it and get me into all sorts of new fandoms!

The blogging community has also helped me through some rough times in my life lately by just simply being there. While I never talk about it, there's leftover feelings I'm still dealing with from several deaths in my family in the last year as well as episodes of depression. I lost one of my kittens when he was still very young (barely six months) earlier this year and the entire community was so supportive during that time. It was an eye-opening experience that made me really reflect on blogging and how people make connections online.

Another thing I've never mentioned (out of shyness? fear?) is my constant uphill struggle with chronic pain and Lupus. There are some days where I feel I can take on the world and then others where I simply can't get out of bed and want nothing to do with the world. But everyone's enthusiasm through blogging, collaboration, and pen pal letters helped me understand that, hey, things will get better and you don't have to do this alone! Thank you so much for that. Truly.

The original logo and name I was using before switching over to Nerdjoy!

Finally, there are times where I'm still battling with anxiety and anger from a previous relationship where I was mentally and physically abused. Only a handful of people know about this and it's something I tend to bury about my past. I've always doubted myself since but then through Superheroesque and its founders Mia Moore and Liz Locksley I found out about self-love. I would have never discovered the magic of self-love without blogging and now I'm more confident in myself, happier with who I am.

There are so many other bloggers who I admire and really enjoy talking to online, too. Gwen, Sophie, Gladys, Elle, Mariko, Jessica, Joie... Naming all of you guys and how awesome and rad you all are would take up another long blog post in itself! But all the lovely ladies found over at the Female Geek Bloggers Community, everyone from IGGPPC and the entire Iggle forums, you're all so great. This blogging thing really opened up my eyes to a new side of geekdom that I'm so proud to be a part of. While I know I can be shy and aloof at times online, I am making an effort to share more and blogging is certainly helping. It's crazy how much it can change you.

Blogging was just a random thought I had one day and the whole idea of a geek girl blog took me three years to actually sit down and do. In those three years I always made excuses or was too shy or thought my opinions wouldn't matter. But I am so glad I finally kicked myself in the rear and started blogging. It's certainly made my life so much more interesting and, in a way, balanced.

An even older logo design I was using when it was still called Nerd Allure!

One year came by SO quickly that I totally forgot about my blogversary. And, well, I'm still adjusting to a new job and in the process of moving. But in that one year I have gained so much already. Insight, a welcoming community, and opportunities to try out new things. What more could you ask for?

Thank you so much for actually taking the time to give my blog a read and creating such an amazing community. Here's to many more years! And, hopefully, a meet up in the near future because I'm totally saving up my money now to go to San Diego Comic Con next year!

P.S. -- I'll be putting together a little giveaway next week! Stay tuned for more deets. :)

much love,
post signature

20 comments:

  1. Congratulations and happy blogaversary! Life can be pretty tough, and it's great that blogging has helped you grapple with so many unexpected changes. Thank you for sharing your fandoms/life with us, and I can't wait to see more great blogging in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a little crazy to think that a hobby like this can help with things "in real life," but it does. :)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations :) Keep writing and we'll keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steph...Congratulations on a whole year of blogging!! You are one of the sweetest people I have met and I love talking with you and reading your blog (plus I LOVE that you are a fellow Final Fantasy fan!) I'm so glad you embrace your geekiness and are not afraid to blog about things you love. I can't wait to keep reading and omg yesss! We were just talking about how we need to save up money for SDCC! haha hopefully I'll save up enough money by next year OR my super powers come in... really hoping for the super powers though! ;)

    Congrats again!! <3

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll smuggle you in my luggage if need be, haha! Or find a Comic Con a little closer to do a meet-up at!

      Delete
  4. Happy Blogaversary! I have only been involved in the blogging community for a few months and yours is one of the first blogs I started reading on a regular basis. Wishing you another fantastic year and many more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :D We'll have to geek out over the next LootCrate

      Delete
  5. Congratulations girly! And I totes love you! You're one of my favorite blog friends and I hope someday we can meet up for realsies! <2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <33333 I hope so, too! The West Coast is calling @_@

      Delete
  6. HAPPY BLOGAVERSARY!!!!!!!!!! You're blog is so awesome!!! Can't wait to read it in the years to come :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molly!! I feel like it's been forever (probably because we're in completely different time zones, do'h). Thank you and I'll still be reading yours, too! :)

      Delete
  7. Congrats, Stephanie! I think I've been here the whole ride, through the changes, and I have enjoyed following your blog and getting to know you! Here's to many more years! Love you, lady! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Blogiversary!!! :D You've had quite a journey, but it sounds like you have really found yourself along the way! I find that the struggles and hard times we face are most often the motivating factors in our lives, so it's good to see you writing and working despite those things. It's really inspiring to me! I love seeing your jewelry and all your other posts too and wanted to thank you for being such an awesome bloggy friend! I hope you have (or had, since I am belated in wishing you this, lol) a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats Steph! Keep up the amazing blog-stravaganza!!! Rural juror!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! It's truly amazing how having a healthy outlet full of wonderful people can really help us through the hard times. Here's to things only getting better for you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations!!! I love your blog and I am glad to have "met" you through the world of blogging! Hoping we can meet one day!! Save up for SDCC next year! I have plans on going with or without badges!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on one year of blogging! Thank you so much for reaching out and inviting me into your Nerdjoy world :)
    On a serious note, I can relate with mental and physical abuse. I was in a relationship like that for a few years and it has definitely left its scars. It makes me happy that you can find support in the blogging community and I look forward to what your blog brings in the future!

    ReplyDelete

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger