28 June 2014

The Red Woman (Melisandre Cosplay Photoshoot)

melisandrestandingphoto

Cosplay has been something I've been getting into very slowly, mostly because I'm terrible with time management and still learning how to sew something all by myself. The last two cosplays I did were way back in high school and middle school, Reno from Final Fantasy 7 and Fujin from Final Fantasy 8. But recently I managed to complete ONE costume (with lots of help) and that's my original take on Melisandre from Game of Thrones you see here!

Most of you already know I'm a huuuuge Thrones fan. I've read all the books already, pour countless hours on the Ice & Fire Forum, have way too many Game of Thrones related blog posts on here, and just generally have a weird obsession with the series. One character that interested me a lot was Melisandre, or "The Red Woman," as she's known as.

melisandrewalkingphotocosplay

melisandrephotoshoot

She is very interesting for very spoiler-y reasons that I won't go into detail here, but her story really picks up now that she's at The Wall. Stay tuned, guys. ;)

I dyed my hair red for the cosplay and liked the color so much that I've kept it since (almost over one year now), although I'm thinking of going Psylocke purple in the winter. The costume itself is a simple medieval dress from two Frankenstein'd dress patterns, I believe from Butterick, the shawl just one long piece of stretchy satin fabric with the edges sewn.

melisandrephoto1

melisandreupclosephoto

My necklace was bought as I didn't have time to create her necklace from the show and don't particularly like how they portray it anyway. The photos were taken by my former job's Chief Information Officer, Dave! He's a hobbyist photographer and this was his first ever cosplay shoot (mine as well!) but he's a big fan of the show. Dave kept telling me to be scowl-y like Melisandre, but I couldn't do it. Oopsies.

It was about 90 bazillion degrees out and I was in a heavy dress with a shawl on, not a cloud in the sky when we were hoping for some cloud coverage to give the shots a more "nighttime" feel. That last shot is totally me thinking, "I'm really hot, sweaty, and just want a water right now." Oh, the things we do for our fandoms!

Next cosplay is going to be a genderbent Dandy from Space Dandy! That one is going to be a lot easier and quicker. Hopefully.


post signature

14 comments:

  1. Wow! This is awesome, I love these shots! You totally look like her :) Are you on the GoT costuming group on Facebook? It's huge and everyone is amazingly talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) And I've seen the official group's photos but feel like my costume isn't really up to par with their skills but I might check them out and see what happens.

      Delete
  2. Very impressive Stephanie. Wish I had what it takes to hit a convention as Ned Stark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have learned that wearing this costume for an extended period of time is uncomfortable as hell and I'm doing a cosplay with comfy pants next time, haha.

      Delete
  3. Very nice! I don't have HBO so I have never seen Game of Thrones but literally every blogger I have met online talks about and loves it so much, and I'm like... grrrr... one day, one day I will watch you! :P You did a great job for it being so dang hot, looking forward to your next cosplays! Also, do you have pics of your Reno and Fujin cosplays? You know I love FF :)

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I don't! :( It was a time when I was really uncomfortable with myself and didn't like my picture taken and now I'm kicking myself about it.

      Delete
    2. I'm in the same boat as Jessica - I have yet to watch the show! I'm still holding off until I read all the books, but I am soooo slooowww at reading lately because of other creative things.
      I also really wanted to see pics of the other cosplays as well, but sad to hear that you don't! :(
      BUT, I really love that you took pictures of this one because it's glorious! I kind of want to dress like that everyday to be honest... as long as it isn't 90+ degrees outside, haha!

      Delete
  4. Looks great! I love the scenery. Perfect fit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look incredible. Great job on the dress and the photos really capture the vibe well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woah! You look great and the photos really capture it all. LOVE IT

    btw totally stole one of your buttons. Button swap?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing! I'm going to put up your button! ^.^

      Delete
  7. DUDE! You look awesome! And your facial expression in the second to last pic is PERFECT for the Red Lady!
    (PS: I finally started book 3 today! wish me luck, cause I did not read # 2, but totally want to read them LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. HOW DID I MISS THIS POST!
    You look absolutely fantastic!
    I'd like to say the first costume is the toughest but that's not strictly true, but what I will say is that the fear of making something on your own gets less and less as you learn new skills.

    I'm currently planning a Catelyn Stark costume for this coming winter (or this winter that is coming...) and I'm quite afraid as I was thinking of working in velvet but its inspiring to see that this type of costume can be done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I'm planning on making this costume for a convention at the end of this month and I was wondering if you remember which Butterick patterns you used and if you could give me a little more detail on how exactly you made/draped the cloak. Your costume looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger