14 May 2014

Do You Remember... Tiny Beanie Babies

remembertinybeaniebabies

I'm doing a short series with some of my old toys since my toy trade with Derek of Goodwill Hunting 4 Geeks prompted going through old boxes. Much like any proper 90s kid, I had Beanie Babies and a crapton of them!

So, at the peak of its popularity, McDonalds did the unthinkable and started putting tiny Beanie Babies into kids meals. The universe almost imploded at the news. I honestly don't know if I can explain the hysteria that went down to younger readers? ... Uhm, it was like if One Direction and Justin Bieber did a tour together and then decided they were going to give away free unicorns to the audience.

tinybeaniebabiesbears

wordlybears

erinthebaniebabybear

erinthebear

I honestly forget how you were able to get these particular tiny Beanie Baby bears at McD's, because I'm pretty sure they didn't come with a standard kids meal. If someone remembers, let me know in the comments!

Unfortunately, the packaging for ol' Glory is yellowed and all of the bears' packaging is deteriorating. But I do think it's funny that the bears came with that weird flap in the back so you could stuff it back into the box if you wanted to. That would totally help with its higher value in the future!

And then there were the kids meals tiny Beanie Babies...

tinybeaniebabiespackaging

tinybeaniebabies

minibeaniebabies

These are the only ones I can find for now from my stash, but I can always dig deeper into the basement. It's like a nostalgia mineshaft down there!

You know, looking back on these, they weren't that bad for kids meals toys. Sure, parents went nuts and I feel real sorry for people who had to work at McD's during this time, but these little guys are still in great condition! They've moved all over the United States with me and are still cute as ever.

Since I have soooo many of these guys, I'm going to be using some of them in DIY projects and others will more than likely be given away or sold off. There's only a few I want to keep intact.

How about you guys, do you remember that crazy Beanie Babies phenomena?
post signature

17 comments:

  1. I think those special bears were available to buy for like two dollars with the purchase of a meal. Gosh, I loved those little Beanie Babies. I ate way too much McDonald's during the weeks those were available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, okay, that's probably it! And yeah, waaaay too much McD's throughout my childhood. x_x I hardly go now, haha.

      Delete
  2. I had all the McD beanies. It was hysteria! The whole beanie baby craze was wild. And now I have at least two big containers of them out it the garage. So much for them paying for my college tuition lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember waiting in these huge lines in the drive thru for hours with my grandma (she was really into collecting them, I just liked playing with them lol) and she'd always get two: one I could play with, one that would be put in storage to sell off. The smart people were the ones already selling theirs when Beanie Babies were huge!

      Delete
  3. I got sucked into the crazy! I think I even got the beanie babies club card. Hahaha.. I still have my happy meal guys floating around somewhere. The one in the cardboards you got for 2-3 bucks when you bought one of the reg meals.

    Good times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, that's awesome! I knew some people with the pins and being so jealous, lol.

      Delete
  4. I still have a ton of the ones that came in the cardboard packaging! Beanie Babies were life for me, I don't even wanna know how much money my parents spent on those things. lol

    -SupaRadDinosaur

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I really liked stuffed animals as a kid and this was, like, a dream hahaha. But man, looking back on some of the prices for the bigger Beanie Babies from 90s, it's insane how much money Ty made!

      Delete
  5. I used to love beanie babies but got rid of them a long time ago, the only one I kept was one my best friend at the time gave me for my birthday in high school. I don't think I ever had any of those really little ones though. They're cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The teeny Babies Beanies aren't as soft and cuddly as their grown up counterparts but still pretty darn cute! But people who avoided McD's during that time were smart, haha

      Delete
  6. I never got into Beanie Babies. They are adorable though!

    <3 Heather
    The Nerdy Fox

    ReplyDelete
  7. DUDE! My spanish teacher my Freshman year of HS literally brainwashed my class into buying these! I was so addicted! She would speak about them in spanish all the time! So crazy!
    I still have my Speedy the turtle McD's beanie baby. I can't bear to part with him! LOL

    Thanks for the nostalgia!
    **runs off to parent's house to hunt down the BBs**

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the squirrel BB in my room right now. We've definitely cut down on the overall amount of Beanies since they first came out. My neighbors would collect them and she was so very sterile about it too. But the tiny beanies were my favorite! I usually had one in my backpack, haha. And for the sake of "collecting" we'd get one for me to play with and one to keep usually. I still love them all, but of course haven't gotten any since "the craze" was over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and that description of what it was like for the beanies being sold and McDonald's was incredibly accurate. It was insanity!

      Delete
  9. I just recently came across your blog, and I love it! There is a severe lack of blogs out there that combines girly things + nerdy things :)

    As for beanie babies, I had a ton growing up, but I never had any from McDonalds...I wasn't allowed to eat there as a kid :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was OBSESSED! I still have a ton of them! My favorite was Happy the Hippo. I collected him in every size.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhhh I used to collect Beanie Babies like there was no tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger