04 February 2014

Meet The Rails Girls & Hello Ruby!


This week's Tech Tuesday is going red, but not for Valentine's Day! Check out Hello Ruby and meet the Rails Girls.

Unfortunately, young girls are still snubbing technology and science in favor of other avenues because they feel it might be too hard or boring. There has been a huge initiative to prevent this and that's where the Rails Girls, and Hello Ruby, come in.

Ruby on Rails is a type of programming language that is most commonly used for web app development and it's also a very popular language to learn. The Rails Girls, co-founded by Linda Liukas, have set up a non-profit that makes it seem not as scary to learn for first-time programmers such, aiming their efforts at young girls with an interest in technology. Liukas also just completed a highly successful Kickstarter for a story book called Hello Ruby that will teach Ruby on Rails to young girls in a simple and very cute way.

Here's an illustration of Ruby!


Hey, maybe this book should become a guideline for grownup developers, too.

I personally don't know a lick of Ruby on Rails but these girls have definietly inspired me to give it a shot in the future. Perhaps there will be other story books in the future about Java, PHP, or Python, yeah?

If you'd like to learn more about Rails Girls, Hello Ruby, or the movement of encouraging young girls to try out programming, check out my full write-up over at Digital Journal.

What do you think about the Rails Girls? Would you read Hello Ruby? I know I would!

6 comments:

  1. I think that is a wonderful idea and I just backed it! Anything encouraging young women to learn tech is alright with me. Have you heard of BlackGirlsCode? It's an organization who's vision is to "To increase the number of women of color in the digital space by empowering girls of color ages 7 to 17 to become innovators in STEM fields, leaders in their communities, and builders of their own futures through exposure to computer science and technology."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't and that's really awesome! I think it's best for girls to learn at a younger age, like 7, because it's a time when kids soak up any and everything.

      Delete
  2. This is something I would buy my daughter if I had one. Then I would learn along with her! So maybe I should just buy it for me then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I feel the same way! I really wanna try out the activity book that will be with the story book.

      Delete
  3. This sounds great. I love this sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger