20 January 2014

First Impressions: Powerpuff Girls 2014 Special



They brought 'em back! But was it really worth it for nostalgia's sake? Here are some of my first impressions from tonight's special.

Sugar
Spice
Everything nice...
And Chemical X!

Who doesn't love watching old episodes of the Powerpuff Girls? It was all about witty writing, girl power, and Mojo JoJo! So of course I was interested when I heard the news that they would be "rebooting" Powerpuff Girls. My childhood coming back to life?! Heck yeah.

Well, we've gone from this...

 (Source)

To this new version of the girls...


Tonight was the special premiere, and apparently, this isn't going to be an on-going series reboot. It is literally a mini nostalgia-fest for grown-up kids like myself and fellow readers. Unfortunately, it didn't feel like the old days for me. Besides the voice actors coming back and I believe the actual creator and some of the writers, things felt off.

The writing and comedy were still on point in most of the episode. If you closed your eyes, it would instantly feel like an older episode and you were transported back to the early 2000s. There were some aspects where the pacing felt way too quick (the girls eating breakfast near the beginning, Bubbles being sent something in the mail and fighting with her conscious) and the script a little forced, like constantly reminding the audience they're the Powerpuff Girls and have superpowers. Isn't that why we have the beginning about the sugar and spice and Chemical X?

Then there is the new art direction. Everything reminds me of Katamari Damacy, the video-game, but unfortunately it doesn't really work in this aspect. The colors felt too muddled together, making it hard to focus on just one piece of the animation. Most of the characters' faces barely reacted or showed emotions and just had these blank stares into nothingness when talking.

For example, a lot of the colors are blending into each other in this particular still of a scene. Coupled with the very harsh lighting, it looks a little weird.


Compared to this scene from the series. There's a lot going on in this still, but everything is still easily identifiable and doesn't blend into the background or experience harsh lighting (very little lighting, really).


Overall my first impressions is, "Why?" Why is the special episode needed? Why the change in art direction when commercials had the voice over guy specifically say, "And we don't dare touch the formula!" Well, wasn't the old animation style and art part of the original formula?

What did you guys think? Did you watch the premiere of the Powerpuff Girls Special?

6 comments:

  1. I didn't like it :/
    I actually got so bored with it that I ended up not paying attention for the second half. I was so excited but then really let down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I tuned out toward the end and started writing this first impression. Aw well!

      Delete
  2. Hmmm, I never heard about this. I kinda like the the new art style, but some things are best left to nostalgia, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really worked in some areas, like the new logo was REALLY pretty and used these nice pastels. But there were some areas where the pacing of the animation and all of the same complimentary colors blended together and you didn't know what you were looking at. I dunno, it was just a weird experience since I'm so used to the old PPG, haha.

      Delete
  3. WOAH! They look so different. I am such a fan of the original series. I am super nervous to see the special but excited at the same time.

    ReplyDelete

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger